Sunday, June 7, 2020

Hike!

We went for a walk around our neighborhood on Memorial Day and I had to take a picture of the huge flag a neighbor had stretched across the street.  It was awesome!  
We took the boat out for the first time this season and cruised the length of long lake (and it is long).  We explored some boat in campsites, saw a snake, and on the way home with saw a smoking boat, so we towed them back to the dock.
I've been taking my kids on walks and hikes for a few months now--training our legs for a big hike this summer.  We live in such a beautiful place, and since I love to be in nature, hiking is a great activity for us to do together.  Even Jacob (3 years old) has been participating.  We also signed up for a BSA 26 mile Stomp (we have till the end of June to log 26 miles of walking, running, etc.).  Last week we hiked the back side of Indian Painted Rock.  A fellow hiker coming down the trail told us it was about 3.0 miles (6 miles round trip--more than my kids had done yet) to the top and had tough switchbacks and a steep end, but with a view that was well worth the trip.  The kids and I decided to go for it (I was motivated by the view).  It was a beautiful hike.  The landscape changed a few times, from burned trees and brown grass to lots of lush bushes and tall grasses.  We sang pioneer songs at one point to keep Jacob distracted.  The switchbacks were tough and we smelled skunk during one stretch, but we made it all the way to the top.  The view was worth it!  We saw the Spokane River winding through our little town and enjoyed our rice krispie treats.  I was very impressed and proud of my kids for their hard work and good attitudes.  


Near the beginning

At the top

The view

Heading down

1 comment:

  1. I love that your family is active! Way to go Jacob on making the long hike.

    ReplyDelete